Backup is nothing but the insurance to your hard work. At any time you might see the issue on your website. Even some updates of your existing plugins or themes might corrupt your website and you might not be able to see or log in to your website. In that case, If you have the backup in your hand, you can restore to the previous known good configuration.
The backup plugin is one of the Must have plugins for WordPress website. There are so many premium and free WordPress backup plugins available to take the backup of your WordPress website. Most popular premium plugins are Vaultpress by Jetpack and Backupbuddy. You have very few options for the free backup. UpdraftPlus is the best among the free plugins. No other free plugin works like UpdraftPlus plugin.
What is UpdraftPlus?
The free version gives you many features than any other free plugins. It even gives you features which are provided by some other premium plugins.
Free version features
- Full website scheduled and automatic backups.
- Supports Remote storage services like Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.,
- Restore website.
- Download backup files to your Computer.
Premium Version Features
- All free version features Plus
- Multisite compatible.
- Gives you Updraft Vault storage.
- Backups limitless external files and databases.
- You can set Backup time.
- Automatic backups before WordPress updates.
- Encrypted transport to Cloud storage.
When you need the extra features, then only you need to go with the premium version. Otherwise, the free version is more than enough for most of the bloggers.
The only issue with UpdraftPlus is, every time it takes the complete backup of your website which consumes a lot of your server resources. If you ready to spend little money, I can suggest you Wp Time Capsule which takes incremental backup of only updated files.
How Backup WordPress Site Using Updraftplus
Recent updates made the setup process is very easy.
2. Go to Settings -> UpdraftPlus Backups from the left menu.
3. You will see UpdraftPlus Backup/Restore window. Select Settings tab.
4. You need to change the Files backup schedule and Database backup schedule from Manual to Daily or 12 hours or anything you like from the dropdown list at two options.
5. You also need to change the number of backups to retain. You can retain 10 or 20 or 30 or anything you like depends on your cloud storage. The Free version will not give you the option to control the time at which it takes your website back up.
6. Scroll down the settings page to select the Remote Storage. Just select Google Drive to use the 15GB storage given by your Gmail account. If you need more storage, Just use GSuite to get the professional Email along with 30GB Storage.
7. After selecting Google Drive option, you will see the Folder name which you can not change with the free version.
8. You will also see the link to authenticate Google Drive. But before authenticating, you need to save the settings.
9. Just scroll down the settings page and select Save Changes at the end. Now you will see a popup which shows in below screenshot.
10. Just click on the link given in the popup.
11. Select your Email id. It is better to go with Gsuite Email.
12. Select Allow in the next window.
13. Click on Complete Setup in the next window.
14. Now you will return back to your WordPress dashboard. You need to just click on Backup Now button under the Current Status tab to take the first backup. It will automatically take the next backups.
You can check the backup files in the UpdraftPlus folder under MyDrive in your Google Drive.
If you had already used UpdraftPlus earlier. It might give you trouble to authenticate. Then you need to reset the earlier settings.
Go to Settings of UpdraftPlus
Click on the link given in below screenshot to remove the existing settings.
Once again click on Save Changes.
Once again click on the link in the popup and follow the same procedure to authenticate.
Now take the first backup without worries.
- Related: How to show user star rating on WordPress posts, coupons, etc.,
- 5 Top WordPress Security Plugins
How to Restore the Backup?
If you had any issues with your website, you can restore with the previous good backup.
If you can not log in into your WordPress dashboard, you need to download the files and database from your Google Drive and upload to your website using cPanel or File Manager.
If you are able to login into your WordPress dashboard, it is very easy to restore the backup using UpdraftPlus plugin.
Go to Settings -> UpdraftPlus Backups – > Existing Backups.
You will see the backups shows that in below screenshot. Select the Restore option and follow the instructions to restore the files.
How to download the backup files to Computer?
You can download the files to your computer directly from your Google Drive.
You can also use UpdraftPlus plugin to download the files.
Go to Existing Backups option. You will see above screenshot.
If you want to download Plugins folder, click on Plugins. You will see the option to Download the folder.
Likewise, you can click on other options to download every file to your computer.
- You Might Like: 6 Best ad management Plugins for WordPress
- 7 Best Image optimizer plugins for WordPress
UpdraftPlus is really the best option for free backup. If you have limited server resources, I don’t suggest this one. If you are ready to spend little money, I suggest you go with WP Time Capsule. If you want to reduce the addition plugin, you can go with jetpack premium. If don’t mind about spending money for the best backup option, go with Backupbuddy.
I hope now you might know How to Backup WordPress site. If you know any other free methods, let us know through the comment section. Please don’t forget to share this article. You can follow BlogVwant on Facebook, Google+ and Twitter for more WordPress tips.