Google webmaster tools verification is must for any website to get into Google search results. Google webmaster tool is a free tool provided by Google which helps Google search engine to understand your website and latest information on your website. Webmaster tool is must to improve or to maintain your website SEO.
- Related: What is SEO(Search Engine Optimization)?
- 12 Best On-page SEO Techniques to get No.1 rank in Google
Why Google Webmaster Tools?
It will maintain your website SEO by showing internal or external Links, Keyword analysis, etc., Google webmaster tools or Google search console will not only help you to show your website on the Google search results but also give you many features.
- You can submit your sitemap to Google which helps to inform Google about latest published posts.
- It can help you to test Robots.txt file for the errors.
- You can check your website errors like 404 not found URLs.
- You can change Google crawl rate.
- You will get notified by Google when your website gets blocked due to malware so that you can remove the malware to appear on Google.
- You can check how your website and your posts appear in search results and how they perform.
- You can submit URL to index and remove URLs from indexing.
- You will get notified when Google face any issue while indexing.
- It monitors whether your server is running properly or giving any errors.
When you want to get all above features and more, you must first do Google webmaster tools verification to your website.
Google webmaster tools verification
Verification is very simple. Just signup to webmaster tools website. Submit your website URL. You will get a code or meta tag. Paste that tag on your website. Google will verify your website by using the tag.
Login using your Gmail. You will see search console home page. Type your website URL and select ADD A PROPERTY.
You will see a Verification page.
It is better to select Alternate method. Because It is an easy method. Select HTML tag option.
Copy entire meta tag or only the code which appear after content= without cotes.
Now you have copied meta tag. You need to paste it into your website. You can use two methods to paste the meta tag.
1.Using Yoast SEO
Yoast SEO is the best free SEO plugin. You must not run your website without this plugin. This plugin will give you many options like creating XML sitemap, SEO for your website posts, pages, and archive pages, indexing, and no indexing options, Editing files like htaccess, robots.txt etc., It will also give you the option to add the meta tags.
Login into your WordPress dashboard. Install and activate the Yost SEO plugin if you did not have.
Go to SEO -> Dashboard from the left menu.
Select Webmasters tools option from the tabs. Paste the copied content. Click Save changes.
Even if you had pasted entire meta tag, you will see only the required code in the field.
Now go back to the Google webmasters tools page. Click on Verify button at the bottom.
You will see the success message.
You need to repeat the same procedure for non-www version, https www, and https non-www versions also. You will get the same verification code for the remaining versions. You need not copy and paste the code second time. You can directly click on verify button after selecting alternate method.
- Related: What are backlinks in SEO? How to build high-quality backlinks
- What are follow or nofollow links in SEO? Do nofollow links help SEO
Jetpack is another plugin without which you can not run your website. It gives many features like website statistics, Social share buttons, Image CDN, automatic publishing your posts to social media, many widgets, etc., It will also give you an option to add meta tag.
Login to your WordPress dashboard. Install and activate jetpack plugin if you did not have.
Go to Jetpack -> Settings -> Traffic.
Scroll down the page Click on ACTIVATE at Site Verification option.
You will see the fields to paste the meta tags.
Paste the meta tag, Save Settings and Verify from Google webmaster tools.
If you are not using the two plugins or WordPress, you can use file upload method. You just need to download the file and upload to your server.
Till now, you have verified your website. You must submit the sitemap of your website to Google webmaster tools. Otherwise, Google might not index your website. You must read How to create XML sitemap and submit to Google webmaster tools.
- You Might Like: 6 Must use places to build backlinks to your website
- 5 Steps to Create or Setup Google analytics Account and to Add site
I hope now you might know the use of Google webmaster tools verification. If you like this article, please share it with your friends. Want more blogging tips, follow BlogVwant on Facebook, Google+ and Twitter.