What is AMP? You may have this question irrespective of whether you are a blogger or a regular internet user. This tutorial will give you complete details about Google Accelerated Mobile pages which include Pro and Cons. This will also give you details about how to implement AMP on your WordPress website.
What is AMP?
AMP full form is Accelerated Mobile Pages. It is the Google project which aims the better internet experience on mobile or tablets. Google AMP pages will not load all java scripts and CSS. It will load only limited HTML, CSS and Java Scripts so that the page load will be lightening fast. AMP pages will be hosted on Google cache to give highest possible speed to your web pages. If you want you can read official Google AMP overview article for technical details.
Google AMP project built on three components.
AMP HTML: AMP HTML tags are somewhat different than usual HTML tags. You need to generate completely different HTML code for your website pages just by using AMP HTML tags. So you will be having two versions for your post one is desktop version and the second one is Google AMP version.
AMP JS: AMP JS library makes sure that your website AMP version loads from a single place so that it will give high performance. It will stop loading of unnecessary CSS and java scripts from your website.
Google AMP cache: Google fetches your AMP pages and cache them on their CDN network servers. So when visitor visits your AMP version, Google will load from Google servers. It will load everything like, JS,CSS images from a single place so your visitor will see a very fast loading web page.
How AMP pages will look?
When you search for any keyword in your mobile, you will see AMP symbol for the AMP pages. You will net see any symbol for normal pages. You can check above screenshot for AMP pages appearance in search results.
Sometimes, Google may show thumbnail image in a carousel at the top of search results. There is no guarantee for the appearance of your featured image as a thumbnail. If it appears, you will get high traffic.
You can check below screenshot for how actual AMP page will look.
When you click the close button left to your website URL you will go back to search results.
Pros of Google AMP
- It is a Google product, so there is always a chance to get the good ranking with AMP.
- AMP pages will load very fast. You need not do any customizations for improving your mobile website speed. Google is considering page load speed for the SERP ranking. So you will get a good rank.
- You may get good CTR in search results because of AMP symbol.
- Your traffic may improve if your post featured image appeared in a Google news carousel at the top of search results.
- AMP pages load from Google cache so it will reduce your server load.
- Easy to implement Google AMP especially for WordPress.
- Readers will love your blog.
Cons of Google AMP
Google AMP has important problems. Every blogger must consider them. You can avoid most of the below issues by using a free plugin AMP for WP.
- AMP pages will not show your email popup optin forms, sidebar widgets, social share buttons, related posts and much more. So you may loose your email subscribers and you need to lose other things also.
- If you don’t like AMP pages in the future, Getting back to normal pages is not the easy task.
- AMP pages load from Google cache servers. So you are depending on Google. You can not control their server.
- You can not customize AMP pages. Google default format will appear.
- Not every content work on AMP. For example, Google AMP loads text content of your website fast but not videos.
- You will see Duplicate content if you don not set it properly.
- No ads will cause the reduction in your revenue.
- Navigation in your website is the tough task. Because there is no menu.
Should I implement AMP?
When you want to give better user experience, you must go with AMP. Remember, you must lose other features like lead generation, ads, widgets, and much more. I wanted to give better user experience, so I am using Google AMP.
If you don’t want to implement AMP, make sure that your website is mobile friendly. Google always give priority to mobile friendly websites. To generate a mobile-friendly website, You can use jetpack mobile theme feature or WP Touch plugin or responsive themes like Genesis themes.
How to Implement Google AMP on WordPress website?
It is very easy to implement AMP on your WordPress website. Just install AMP plugin and activate. It is a free plugin developed by Automattic. It has no extra options other than selecting header text color and header background color. To change them go to Appearance -> AMP.
- Must Read: How to Setup Google AMP on WordPress website
How to Test or Validate AMP pages?
After Implementing AMP on your website, it is must to test your AMP pages. If you did not implement AMP properly, your pages might not be crawled by Google. Google has a special tool to validate your AMP pages. And there are some more methods to test AMP pages.
How to Track AMP pages?
You can not track AMP pages with existing Google analytics tracking code. Create a separate property for your AMP website and place tracking code in your AMP pages. You should not place entire tracking code in the header of AMP pages. Google has defined the separate procedure to place analytics tracking code.
- Must Read: 2 Ways to add Google Analytics to AMP pages
How to Customize AMP?
Basic AMP plugin will not give you any options. But AMP for WP plugin will give you many options to customize AMP. It works even without installing AMP plugin. This is a free plugin which gives you options to add ads, sticky social share buttons, comments, related posts, menu, search option and much more.
I think now you may know details about What is AMP? and its features. If you are using it, please let us know through comment section. Please consider sharing this article. Want more blogging tips, follow BlogVwant on Facebook, Google+ and Twitter.