Want to Start a blog? Want to know How to make a blog? You don’t need to learn HTML to make a blog. It is really very easy to start a website. If you read this article, you can create a blog within 5 minutes. I suggest you to bookmark this page because this article is a complete guide to make a blog, manage a blog and earning money with the blog.
This article covers the below topics.
- Essentials for Making a Blog
- How to Make a Blog Using WordPress & Bluehost(60% discounted link + Free domain)
- Learning WordPress
- SEO and Promote website to get Traffic
- Make Money with a Blog
- Some Important things or Tools
1.Essentials for making a blog
You just need three things to make a blog.
The Server is the place where you host your website files. You must buy Server plan from any one of the web hosting services. I recommend you to go with Bluehost(Discounted link – Around 60% discount + Free domain). Because it is officially recommended hosting service by WordPress. Bluehost offers free SSL, unlimited bandwidth, unlimited domains, backup, security and much more features which are needed for the blog. It is the best Webhost in the world for the starters. If you don’t want to buy server initially, you can create a free website using wordpress.com. But I don’t recommend you to go with a free website because you will have limited feature and you can not control your website.
Domain name is nothing but your website name. This blogs domain name is blogvwant. You can choose any name to your website. While choosing a blog name, consider you website content. It is better to have name related to your website content. For example this website talks about blogging, so I have chosen blogvwant as my website name. Usually you need to buy domain. Bluehost will give you domain name for free for the first year.
1.3.Content Management System(WordPress)
Content Manage system is a software which converts your normal language into HTML. Any website must be created using HTML language because web browsers understand HTML only. It is not needed to learn HTML language. Just use any one of the Content Management System.
There many CMS available. WordPress is the best software among them. Because,
- WordPress is a free software. Even if you change your web host in future you need not worry because WordPress is available in every web host.
- Highly customizable.
- You can add any feature using plugins.
- It gives fast loading website.
Now you know about the essential tools for any website. Now let us see about creating a website.
2.How to Make A Blog
There are only Two main steps to make a blog.
2.1.SignUp to Webhost (Bluehost), Chose a domain name and create Bluehost cPanel account credentials.
2.2. Install WordPress on your Domain name and create WordPress dashboard account credentials.
Let us see complete details.
2.1.SignUp to Bluehost and Create cPanel account
Visit Bluehost website Home page(60% discounted link with a free domain). Click on Get Started Now.
Bluehost has three plans on shared hosting. Select any one of the plans according to your need.
Just enter your required domain name in the New domain name field. You can also select extension like .com or .in or .us or .uk anything. It is better to select .com. Click Next.
Enter your Account information like your name and address.
Select Package under Package information. If you take the longer plan, you will get more discount. You can also select extras like backup, domain privacy. Security and backup is must. You can also select them later.
Enter you Billing information. Check the terms box. Click Submit.
Now you need to create a password for your Account. Just click Create Your Password in the confirmation window.
Enter your required password. Reenter the password. Check the confirmation box. Click Create. You can also use Password generator option to generate a complex password.
Now you have successfully created Bluehost account.
2.2.Install WordPress & create WordPress dashboard Credentials
You need to install WordPress on your domain.
Go to Bluehost website.(60% discounted link with a free domain). Click login option at top right corner. Enter your username and password created in above steps. Select Submit.
Now you will see cPanel. cPanel is a place where you can control your website files, databases and much more. You can also control more than one website from cPanel. Click Install WordPress.
Just select Start right to WordPress version.
Select your domain name. And select Check domain. Don’t write anything on the empty field. When you want to install WordPress on the subdomain, then you can use that field.
Check Show Advanced options. Fill all fields like site name, username, password and email id. You can write anything on username, there is no need to write Email only. Don’t use same credentials which were generated for Bluehost cPanel account. You must use different Username and password
It is must to check Automatically create a new database for this installation.
Check terms box and Click Install Now.
You will see an installation progress bar.
After completion of installation, you will see an installation complete window. Click View Credentials to see your credentials.
You will see your website URL, Admin URL, username, and password.
Open Admin URL, you will see below screen. You need to remember this URL. Enter your Username and password. Select Login.
You will see WordPress dashboard shows that in below screen. This is the place where you can create posts, pages and manage your website.
Now you have created WordPress website.
At this point, you have two login credentials. One is for Bluehost cPanel where you can control your website files.
- Bluehost cPanel credentials where you can control your website files.
- WordPress dashboard credentials through which you can maintain your website.
You regularly need to login into WordPress dashboard. You may rarely need to login into cPanel.
3. Learning WordPress
After creating WordPress website, you can start writing posts. Before that, you need to learn completely about WordPress and its features. I can recommend you to take this WordPress learning course from Udemy. If you don’t want to spend money, you can learn from YouTube, but that will take time. Taking Udemy course will save you lot of time. Still, I am going to give you some must do things after creating the website.
You need to change your website settings according to your need. Don’t publish any post without configuring WordPress settings. Just login into WordPress dashboard and go to Settings from the left menu. You will see options to change General, Reading, Writing, Media, Discussion, and Permalink settings.
You can use a free theme which comes along with WordPress. I can recommend you to use any one of the child themes from Genesis FrameWork. Genesis is the premium and most used theme framework in the world. I am using Genesis framework.
Go to appearance -> Themes and Activate theme. You can use Add New option to upload your premium or any other free themes.
Install required Plugins:
You can improve your website functionality using plugins. The Plugin is just like an app on your android or ios phone. There are many free and premium plugins available. There are some plugins pre-installed with WordPress. You need to add some more plugins.
Go to Plugins -> Add New to install a new plugin.
Irrespective of your need, every website must need some plugins.
- jetpack: It is a free and multi-purpose plugin. I think there is no WordPress website without this plugin. It gives many options like related posts, social share buttons, statistics, stopping brute-force attack, and much more. Jetpack premium plugin gives you 30 days website backup with unlimited storage.
- Akismet: is a free anti spam plugin. It will stop spam comments. If you don’t use this plugin, you will get many spam comments.
- WordPress SEO by Yoast: is a free SEO plugin. This plugin is must to appear your website posts in search results.
- W3 total cache: is a free caching plugin which improves your website load speed.
- Shortpixel Image optimizer: is a premium image optimizer plugin which compresses your images up to 80%. It will improve your website load speed. This plugin will give you 100 free image credits every month. Read How to use Shortpixel to compress images.
- ADSPRO: is a premium ad management plugin. It gives you many features to control ads on your blog. You can geo-target ads, show ads on particular posts or categories, display ads within content and much more. If you want the free one, you can use WPQUADS.
- Thirstyaffiliates: is a free affiliate link cloaking plugin. If you use affiliate marketing to make money, you must use this plugin. Thirstyaffiliates premium version will give you extra features like Autolinking affiliate links, Geo target affiliate link, link tracking and much more. Check Thirstyaffiliates add-ons price and features. If you don’t know about affiliate marketing, read What is Affiliate Marketing? Quick Guide to start it
- Optinmonster: is a premium lead capture plugin. It will give you many popup forms or sidebar forms to capture your reader emails. WhatVwant readers get a special discount through this discounted page. If you need a less priced alternative, you can go with Convertplug.
- WordFence: is a free security plugin which protects your website from Malware. Sucuri is the best premium security plugin. If you need the less priced premium plugin, you can use Bulletproof security. Read 5 Top Security plugin for WordPress.
- Wp Time Capsule: is a free backup plugin which creates restore points for your WordPress website. It is an amazing plugin which takes incremental backups. If you don’t use jetpack premium to backup your website, you can use this plugin. It will store your website files on your Google drive or any other location. Read How to take WordPress website backup using WP Time Capsule.
You need to create categories. Go to Posts -> Categories to create categories.
After basic things, you can start creating posts and publishing them. Go to Posts -> Add New to create a new post.
4.SEO and Promote Your website
Now you can create posts regularly. When you just write posts, they will not appear in search results. You need to follow some important steps to appear your posts in the search results. I am giving just the overview. You need to spend the time to learn about below things.
- Use Google Keyword Planner to search for highest performing focus keyword.
- Use WordPress SEO by Yoast plugin for on-page SEO.
- Create Account in Google Webmaster tools using your Email ID, submit your website and Verify your website. Do the same thing in Bing and Yahoo webmaster tools.
- Create XML sitemap and submit to Google Webmaster tools. Yoast SEO plugin gives an option to create a sitemap. If you don’t do this step, Google will never show your website in search results. Submit XML sitemap to Bing and Yahoo webmaster tools.
- Create Google analytics account. Add your website and paste tracking code in your website header. It is must to track your website traffic.
- Create Robots.txt file with your requirement.
- Use Mailchimp or Sendy for your Email marketing.
- Create facebook, Google plus and LinkedIn pages for your website. You can also create a separate Twitter account for your website.
- Share your posts on social media, social media pages, facebook groups and google plus communities. Read 4 Methods to add social media follow buttons to WordPress website.
- Get backlinks to your posts by using Yahoo answers, Quora, WikiHow and comments in other websites. Read 6 must use Places to build backlinks to your website.
5.Make Money with a Blog
After creating a blog and getting traffic, you must make money with your blog. I am going to tell you two main ways to make money with the blog.
Google Adsense is an ad network from Google. It is the highest paying ad network in the world. Getting approval from Adsense is a tough task. You can read 12 Point Guide to get approval from Google Adsense. Still, new blogs may not get approval from Adsense. In that case, you can use Adsense alternatives like Infolinks, Chitika, Media net, and Bidvertiser. They pay good and approve even new blogs.
- Related: 12 Point Guide to get approval from Google Adsense
- Adsense alternatives for small and low traffic blogs
If you know how to do affiliate marketing properly, you don’t need to use ads on your blog. You may observe that this blog has no ads. I don’t even use ads in my tech blog. Learning about affiliate marketing may take time but it will give you huge money. Remember, you must use Thirstyaffiliates plugin to cloak and manage affiliate links.
- Related: What is Affiliate Marketing? How to Start it?
- 4 Must have affiliate marketing tools
- 10 Best Affiliate Networks that I use on My blogs
6.Some Important things or Tools or Plugins
In this section, I am going to give you some important things and blogging tools which will help your blogging career. Every blogger may not need below things. Just they will add additional features and functionality to your website.
6.2.WP Touch Pro plugin will make your website mobile friendly. If will give many features to your mobile website. It is available in free and paid version. You can also use jetpack mobile site feature or Google AMP to create a mobile site. Or just use any theme from Genesis themes. Every theme is a mobile friendly theme.
6.3.Clipper theme will help you to create Coupon website. If you want to create coupon website, you need to use this theme. If you want to create a usual blog and want to add coupon section, you can use WP Coupons plugin or Couponreveal plugin. You may also read 4 Best Coupon plugins for WordPress website.
6.4.Create PayPal account to receive international payments. PayPal charges 5% as a fee so you must also create an account in any one of the PayPal alternatives. I prefer Payoneer as the best PayPal alternative. Payoneer will give you bank account in US, UK, and Europe.
6.5.Use Canva or Youzign graphic designing tools. These will help you to create beautiful featured images for your posts. Youzign will give you many templates for creating ads, infographics, social media cover pages and much more.
6.6.You should not use images downloaded from any other website. If you want to use images, download from Pixabay. It will give you a huge collection of royalty free vector graphics and images. If you want, you can also try premium stock image websites like Shutterstock and Stock unlimited.
6.7.WP review plugin will help you to give star ratings to your reviews. It is available as a free and premium version. Even free version works great.
I hope you like this tutorial about How to make a blog and complete details. If you like it, please share this article with your friends. Want more blogging tips, follow BlogVwant on Facebook, Google+ and Twitter.